Liver Cancer Surgery
Your liver is the largest organ inside your body. It is also one of the most important. The liver has many jobs, including changing food into energy and cleaning alcohol and poisons from the blood. Your liver also makes bile, a yellowish-green liquid that helps with digestion. Primary liver cancer starts in the liver. Metastatic liver cancer starts somewhere else and spreads to your liver.
Risk factors for primary liver cancer include:
- Having hepatitis
- Having cirrhosis, or scarring of liver
- Being male
Symptoms can include a lump or pain on the right side of your abdomen and yellowing of the skin. However, you may not have symptoms and the cancer may not be found until it is advanced. This makes it harder to treat. Treatment options include surgery, radiation, chemotherapy or liver transplantation.
Liver Metastases means that some tumor has spread to the liver. The most common source might be the colon. Other sources could be the pancreas, the esophagus, breast, or melanoma.
There are many kinds of liver diseases. Viruses cause some of them, like hepatitis A, hepatitis B and hepatitis C. Others can be the result of drugs, poisons or drinking too much alcohol. If the liver forms scar tissue because of an illness, it’s called cirrhosis. Jaundice, or yellowing of the skin, can be one sign of liver disease.
Treatment of Primary Liver Tumors
- Resection is possible for tumors that are small, when the liver is healthy.
- Ablation can be done with probes that deliver heat (microwave or radiofrequency). 1-10 liver lesions can be ablated or destroyed in this way.
- Intra-arterial chemotherapy can be done with different agents which clot the tumor.
- Liver transplantation can occasionally be done in patients with cirrhosis and liver tumors
Treatment of Metastatic Liver Tumors
- Resection is possible for many tumors
- Ablation can be done with probes that deliver heat (microwave or radiofrequency). 1-10 liver lesions can be destroyed in this way.
- Tumor Harvest for possible Vaccine therapy is a new options that may be possible.